Smoked Fish - Patrick Explains a Method for Smoking Trout/Salmon
First, if you want to make this process easy on yourself, I recommend that buy the High Mountain Fish brine kit. That is what I did for the first few years I smoked fish because it is super simple and the fish taste amazing. If you buy this kit on their website you will receive 10% off by using the promo code "HMS10" at check out. They are a sponsor of the show and I want to make sure to give them their due.
If you want to make everything from scratch and do this the way I typically do it now, you can follow my brine recipe below.
- 1 Gallon of Cold Water
- 1 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup of Sea Salt
- 1/2 Cup of Red Wine (Cabernet)
- 1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 TSP of Garlic Powder
- Mix ingredients into a large plastic bowl until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Place cleaned fillets into the large bowl.
- Cover with a plastic lid and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Take the fillets out of the brine and rinse under lukewarm water.
- Pat the fillets down with paper towels until dry. Let them sit at room temperature for about an hour before smoking.
- Place fillets on smoking racks.
- Then smoke the fish until 145 degrees Fahrenheit or until you are satisfied.
- Then take the fillets out of the smoker and let cool.
Sometimes I will also add pepper and garlic powder to the fillets before I place them in the smoker to give them a little more flavor. The great thing is that you get to customize this however you want. Make sure you look up the proper cooking internal temperature of the fish you are cooking and also make sure you follow food safety guidelines. I hope you enjoy this recipe and I hope you get to serve wonderful smoked fish to your family.If you have any comments, please email me at email@example.com. Feel free to share with friends and family. For more recipes, please subscribe to the RadCast Outdoors Podcast. You can find it on Spotify, Apple and other podcast streaming services. Also, please follow us on Facebook @radcastoutdoors and also on Instagram #radcastoudoors.